Tuesday 8 April 2014

People are stupid.

8/4/14

Ok, so people are stupid, rude and clearly weren't brought up with respect for other people's feelings and thoughts.
So there's this one person in particular who is seriously getting on my nerves just recently. I'll leave personal issues out of this but let's just say she's not nice. Anyway, so she comes to my house, interacts with family and says 'is Luke always like this?' 'I feel really sorry for you' 'I couldn't cope with him all the time'. So, it's quite simple - if you don't like, or can't handle my child, don't come round. If you want to criticise my child, just don't. I know we everyone is entitled to their opinion, but seriously?
My first priority is my son. He's not "less" than other children, he's just different. Unique. In some ways he is more, because he is so querky.
I just think it's bizarre. I wouldn't dream of going into someone's house and disrespecting their child, nor would I voice my opinion in front of the child! Just because Luke doesn't communicate well with people, it doesn't mean he's thick, or a 'retard', 'spaz', 'window licker' or 'the lights are on but nobody is home'.  (Yes, those are things people have said)
Luke understands to a certain extent what is being said, but he is really good at picking up on tension. He knows when something is wrong, he knows when you are happy or sad or angry even if you don't tell him or show it in your face.

It amazes me that in today's day and age people can be so heartless and void of compassion.
As a curious child, if I saw someone who was 'different', I was obviously interested. I'd stare and ask my mum and dad questions as most children do. It's not the children that bother me, it's the adults who quite frankly should know better.

I've overheard some of the children at luke's nursery saying "that's luke mum, he's naughty". And the parents don't know how to explain why luke is the way he is, but from a child's point of view luke is just naughty. He's not disabled to them, he's just another child. Perhaps we should all look at the world the way children do. Everything was so much simpler when I was a child. Children aren't racist, anti gay, cruel and vindictive. They are accepting of everything until someone changes them. We aren't born racist. We aren't born selfish. People make people the way they turn out, people make people believe what they believe. Society teaches us our parents are always right - but we aren't. I've probably made a million mistakes with luke. Not intentionally but sometimes you think you're doing the right thing when you aren't. I'm not suggesting you tell your kids when your are wrong because that would just open a huge can of worms, but how many people can say that they honestly, 100%, look back and say they did everything perfectly? No one can be right all the time.

I believe that things aren't always black and white,  right or wrong. There is a grey area with some things, the is a space between right and wrong. You can't view the world that way. People do wrong things, but believe they do them for the right reasons. Parenting is a grey area. I assume it is the same for the 'normal' children. For example we teach children that fighting is wrong. I teach mine that fighting is only on if someone hits you first. Those were the rules I had when I was growing up. If someone hits you, you hit them back. That's the way I teach Luke. It's not ok to go around hitting people, but there exceptions.

As far as I am aware, the majority of people want better for their children. They want them to live a comfortable life, have a good work ethic, be the first in the family to go to university. Why does that stop with opinions and views? Surely if you want your children to have a better life, you wouldn't force your uneducated and bigoted views on them... This is why the world is the way it is. Be it through religion, parenting, schooling or brainwashing. People seem to be less and less tolerant of things. And it's not fair. It's not a world I want my child to grow up in. To be mocked and ridiculed when we leave the house because he is different, because he struggles in social situations, with crowds, with loud noises. I know it sounds cheesy and childish but I truly don't understand why we as a species can't be more understanding and loving towards others.

No comments:

Post a Comment