Thursday 23 January 2014

Stupid People

We seem to be having nothing but bad days this week.
So far today Luke has had 2 meltdowns.
We went into the city centre today to meet my mum for lunch, which meant getting the bus. Luke is a bit hit and miss on a bus anyway, but he always sits at the very back of the us on the right hand side. Someone was in 'his' seat so he obviously couldn't sit there and then proceeded to do nothing but scream the whole way into town - thankfully its only a 15 minute journey!

 
Some of you will be thinking 'he's a toddler, he's bound to have tantrums'. You have obviously never been near a child having a meltdown. A meltdown can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours with Luke.





MeltdownsIf the tantrum is straightforward, the meltdown is every known form of manipulation, anger, and loss of control that the child can muster up to demonstrate. The problem is that the loss of control soon overtakes the child. He needs you to recognize this behaviour and rein him back in, as he is unable to do so. A child with autism in the middle of a meltdown desperately needs help to gain control.
* During a meltdown, a child with autism does not look, nor care, if those around him are reacting to his behaviour.
* A child in the middle of a meltdown does not consider her own safety.
* A child in a meltdown has no interest or involvement in the social situation.
* Meltdowns will usually continue as though they are moving under their own power and wind down slowly.
* A meltdown conveys the feeling that no one is in control.
* A meltdown usually occurs because a specific want has not been permitted and after that point has been reached, nothing can satisfy the child until the situation is over.
Unlike tantrums, meltdowns can leave even experienced parents at their wit's end, unsure of what to do. When you think of a tantrum, the classic image of a child lying on the floor with kicking feet, swinging arms, and a lot of screaming is probably what comes to mind. This is not even close to a meltdown. A meltdown is best defined by saying it is a total loss of behavioural control. It is loud, risky at times, frustrating, and exhausting.
ESSENTIAL
When your child launches into a meltdown, remove him from any areas that could harm him or he could harm. Glass shelving and doors may become the target of an angry foot, and avoiding injury is the top priority during a meltdown.


On a good week, we get one meltdown. On a bad week, we get between 4 and 10.


So on Facebook today, I've seen a picture posted by a Christian group that says "God controls the weather and has out tornadoes and diseases such as autism and dementia on Earth as punishment for gay rights and legalised abortions". I've tried to upload it, but it won't let me.
Needless to say I hit the roof and got in to a full on argument with them!
I said that I am not gay (although fully support those who are), and have never had an abortion. I don't do drugs nor have I ever gone into prostitution. So why would God be punishing me or my child? The answer I got was because I do support gay people, I condone abortion in the right circumstances and our country allows (to a certain extent) the use of drugs, I live in sin (I'm not married and live with my partner) and because I had a child out of wedlock. Oh, and because I'm an atheist. What a bunch of absolute morons!
If that is their God then we need to have some serious words! Their God needs to grow up and catch up with the times!

I'm not anti-religion - I think people have the right to believe in whatever they like, even if it's pink unicorns or aliens. I, personally, need some solid proof before I commit to anything.
So, after a lengthy argument, it was decided that I'm going to burn in hell for my sins. So much for all sins being forgiven. So I rocked the boat a little and said "SMITE ME, MIGHTY SMITER!"


Rant over for today guys :)
Please just bare in mind that people are not always what they seem.


No comments:

Post a Comment